Andrew Zbik, Labor Candidate for Lane Cove has welcomed the new approach to education and healthcare unveiled by Labor Leader Luke Foley at today’s election launch.
Mr Zbik noted that Labor’s commitments are fully funded without the need to privatise the electricity network. This contrasts with the Liberals following Mike Baird’s admission on Friday he has “no Plan B” if his privatisation plan fails.
New Labor approaches announced at the launch include:
- Education building fund – Labor will invest an additional $1.3 billion to build and improve schools and TAFE – including those in Lane Cove – on top of the existing budget for capital works.
- Child care facilities at every new school – In a new approach, every new public school will include either childcare facilities or before and after school care.
- New maths and science teachers – Labor will invest $9.5 million to train and pioneer 200 specialist maths and science teachers in primary schools.
- Hospital building fund – Labor will invest an additional $1.7 billion to build and improve local hospital infrastructure– on top of the existing budget for capital works.
- Chemotherapy co-payment abolished for cancer patients – Labor will abolish this charge of up to $180 that applies to chemotherapy drug prescriptions, introduced by the NSW Coalition Government in 2012
“It was a great thrill to be at the NSW Labor launch where Luke Foley unveiled a new approach to improving education and healthcare services that does not depend on privatising electricity,” Mr Zbik said.
“The policies Luke announced will make a big difference to families in Lane Cove – and I’ll be campaigning on them right up to election day.
“The difference at this election is clear.
“Labor will improve the hospitals and schools that people in Lane Cove rely on every day.
“We will hire new nurses and teachers and upgrade local facilities that are falling down – without privatising the electricity network.
“Mike Baird has admitted he has no Plan B. All his promises rely on privatising the electricity network – and if that fails he will deliver Lane Cove nothing.”