Below is the motion that I am moving at the Council meeting on Monday 22nd July:
Since the NSW Government Return and Earn Container Deposit Scheme commenced in December 2017, Lane Cove Council has requested Tomra the operator of the scheme to assess a number of sites within the Lane Cove LGA to host a reverse vending machine. Tomra has advised Council on numerous occasions that these sites were not suitable for a number of reasons including:
- The suggested site was not prominent enough.
- The suggested site was within 20 metres of residential dwellings.
- The suggested site presented accessibility issues for truck access.
- The suggested site would need electricity supply installed.
The three closest Return and Earn reverse vending machines to the Lane Cove LGA are located at:
- Cnr Lower Gibbes St &, Smith St, Chatswood (12.4km or 32 minute return drive from Lane Cove)
- Taronga Zoo (20km or 38 minute return drive from Lane Cove)
- Herring Rd &, Waterloo Rd, North Ryde NSW (15.4km or 34 minute return drive from Lane Cove)
Social enterprises such as CitizenBlue Ltd have established several locations with wheelie bins that collect drink containers to qualify for the ‘Earn and Return’ cash refund. A summary of the service provided by CitizenBlue Ltd is attached.
- Take the initiative this calendar year to host a meeting with CitizenBlue Limited or other appropriate operator and local Primary Schools and Primary Schools Parent & Citizen Associations to discuss offering collection points/ wheelie bins at local primary schools.
- Identify what sites it may be able to offer to host collection points/wheelie bins at Council owned and operated facilities including but not limited to the Market Square Carpark.
- Identify what local charities or Council programs could benefit from the funds earned from the collection points/wheelie bins at Council owned and operated facilities.
- Continue to approach Tomra with suggestions for a permanent Return and Earn reverse vending machine in the Lane Cove LGA.
- Consider the suitability of a Return and Earn reverse vending machine to be incorporated into any further development or project initiated by Council or involving a Voluntary Planning Agreement.
- Provide a report back to Council by December 2019 outlining what local collections points/wheelie bins have been able to be established at local Schools and Council venues where deemed appropriate.